This mouthwatering black and orange “bumblebee” salad is a sweet and tangy crowd-pleaser that serves up fiber, protein and tons of vitamins.
Enjoy it as-is, mix in with greens, or scoop it up on tortilla chips.
Turn it from a side to a meal with a generous serving of quinoa.
- 1 can (15oz) black beans
- 1 cup fresh mango
- 1 cup bell pepper (red, orange, yellow, or mix)
- 6 green onions
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Optional heat: 1 jalapeno pepper, hot sauce, or salsa
Optional ‘boosts’: corn, avocado, fresh tomatoes
- Rinse beans well in colander.
- Prep fresh fruits and veggies: Finely dice bell pepper and green onion; cube mango, roughly chop cilantro leaves and optional jalapeno if using
- Prepare vinaigrette: mix together lime juice and olive oil (and hot sauce if using)
- In a large bowl, combine rinsed beans, bell peppers, onion and cilantro and any optional ingredients (heat or ‘boost’). Omit mango for now…it’s delicate. Add vinaigrette and mix well.
- Lightly salt to taste. Gently fold in the mango.
- Adjust taste with more salt, lime, cilantro, or “heat” as desired.
Per ~1 cup serving
The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA. They often do not apply to children.